Wireless Headset Build

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by Sven, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Sven

Sven AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    9:18 PM
    I experimented with a wireless headset think last winter that worked really well with some other VLF's and my PI.

Didn't notice any lag time. The headphones had volume control, tone control and effects controls.
    They were pretty interested. They sounded so good playing video games and listening to music on my computer, just kept it hooked up to my computer.

Just ordered another pair, will have to mod the transmitter a bit and we'll see how they work on the Berkut.
    They operate on 2.4 and 5Ghz, dual band.

Once I am happy with the mod, I will post about them.

2. Rew

Rew Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Address:
    London, United Kingdom
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    2:18 AM
    Look forward to your posts.

3. TS
    TS
    Sven

Sven AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    My wireless headphones arrived and I did initial testing with a Fisher GBP clone (FS2) and my Berkut.
    They work wonderfully, no lag at all detected. Excellent audio. Extremely comfortable.
    The headphones are made by Turtle Beach for X-box 360 game units.
    Model Ear Force x32
    Only Registered Users Can See Links.

Manuals Only Registered Users Can See Links.
    x32a.jpg
    The above picture shows a wire attached to the headphones, this is meant for the microphone, since you will not be using the microphone, unplug it from the headphones.
    Store it in a drawer some place.

You can buy the X32's cheap off ebay $20-40
    Only Registered Users Can See Links.
    I even snagged a minty pair for $5.00 as the description stated the microphone did not work. No one bid against me.

For detector use:
    Headphones snip off the microphone boom wire where it meets the attachment.

Use the grey connector wire, cut to correct length as needed and solder up another stereo/mono plug at the other end to plug into your detector headphone jack. The green plug is inserted into the X32 transmitter jack.

For the transmitter it uses a USB power from your computer. Cut the USB cable to length, splice the red and black power wires from the USB cable to your battery power source wires. The transmitter works on 5 volts USB power, not sure what min. power requirement is needed for the transmitter.
    In the past I have used a voltage regulator to drop 9 volts from a 9 volt battery to 4.9 volts and it worked fine. Three AAA batteries might just be perfect. Then there would be no need for the regulator.

DSC06956.JPG

As long as your detector is producing some signal every 5 minutes, you will be fine. The headphones have a built in battery save device. It will turn the headphones off if no signal is received after 5 minutes. This should not be a problem for most unless you run totally silent.

Worth looking at with out spending big bucks.
    I have used X31 headsets for a number of years on my xbox and computer. Then switched over to the X32's as they are dual band, larger speakers and just sound so much better.

Now I just have to rig up a mount and enclosure for the battery and transmitter. And I am good to go.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  4. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Administrator Staff Member

Address:
    Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    4:18 AM
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    That's great! Have you tested them on 2-3 targets put together?

5. Rew

Address:
    London, United Kingdom
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    And how you finding the tone. Is a deep based tone or midrange.
    Looks good mate.

Also as SM has asked and how the tones sound.
    Sorry Sven, I hope not coming over like I'm telling you what to do, I'm genuinely interested and the set dose look good and if you find its working good with AKA Berkut it should be good on my sorex.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  6. TS
    TS
    Sven

Sven AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    If you unplug the headphones and listen to the Berkut tones then plug them back in and listen again. You probably cannot tell the difference.

I can sweep the coil across a target at high recovery speed, I hear no difference when using the headphones or speaker. I do not detect any lag. The headphones have an effects control and a tone control, you can change the parameters of how they sound somewhat. Also have volume control.

Just a note if you buy the X32, do not use them for watching TV, computer, xbox, listening to music, thry sound so good you won't want to use them for your detector. Happened to me. Better buy two sets then. I have a set up stairs hooked to the TV and Xbox, one hooked up to my computer. The x32 set I that just came in was bought strictly for the Berkut. Then I spotted the X42's, ordered a set---for my computer. Will take the X32 being currently used on my computer and use them on another detector.

By the way, if your just looking for a wired set of headphones. The wired DEmo X32's can be purchased if you hunt for them. Cost about $6-10 each. They are identical to the wireless X32, only the controls don't work. If you open them up you'll find an unpopulated circuit board-no parts. They sound fantastic as well. I have also used the speakers in some of my headphone builds. You can buy just the speakers off ebay as well.
    wired1.png

x32wired.JPG 20002.JPG

7. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Administrator Staff Member

Address:
    Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    4:18 AM
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    Sven,
    Than we need step-by-step instructions how to transform these headphones into metal detecting headphones or start to sell "Sven AKA headphones" ;)

8. TS
    TS
    Sven

Sven AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    :Biggrin:
    OK, when I get to it, will take pictures as I go.

9. mschmahl

mschmahl "AKA Deutschland" Group Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Address:
    Wurzen, Germany
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    3:18 AM
    Hi Sven,
    I have the same headphones (X32). I think the transmitter is to bulky. Have you striped it down also or will you do it in future?

10. Rew

Address:
    London, United Kingdom
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    I would buy a set off you Sven. As mentioned in another thread, me and soldering irons don't get on all that well.

11. TS
    TS
    Sven

Sven AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    Just started on the build yesterday for my Berkut.
    Need a few supplies to mount everything. Once I am sure it works properly.
    I will post picture tutorial. It's really simple using off the shelf parts.

SuchMuch likes this.
  12. TS
    TS
    Sven

Sven AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    Yes you can use them, good idea. Charge would probably last a year on those packs.

I have a cheaper power source that uses 4 rechargeable 1.2 v Ni-MH batteries that I could find locally. For about $6.

13. Joey

Joey AKA Novice

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    8:18 PM
    Transmitter draws 180ma max so I'll get 33 days run time with 6000 mah battery unless I use the torch that's built in one end. Ordered a flashlight mount for bikes as a way to attach battery to signum. And that's 24hr a day for 33 days. Lol yea probably a year if only hunting a few hours a week.
    Screenshot_2016-02-22-08-48-51.png

Lasted edited by : Feb 23, 2016
  14. Ringmoney

Ringmoney AKA Veteran

Address:
    Edenderry, Republic of Ireland
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    First Name:
    Niall
    ? More like 33 hours not days.

15. Joey

Joey AKA Novice

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    8:18 PM
    Your absolutely rite. Math hasn't ever been my strong point.

16. John Taylor

John Taylor AKA Novice

Address:
    Sheffield, United Kingdom
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    Signum:
    MFT (1.00.c)
    get your self RAPOO WIRELESS HEADPHONES absolutely the best just like a thin band on your head and last over six hours in the field no lag whatsoever charge up on standard usb slot been out over 50 times brilliant

SuchMuch likes this.