• AKAForums.ru

Русскоязычная версия форума (требуется отдельная регистрация).
    Все о металлоипоиске с детекторами АКА на русском языке!

how did it all start for you

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by nigel westwood, May 22, 2016.

1. nigel westwood

nigel westwood Iron Lord

Local Time:
    3:43 PM
    I see a lot of us who are truely hooked on this hobby seem to be of a similar age and wonder how you ended up detecting .
    but of course some are much older and some much younger ,would be nice to hear what pulled/pushed you into this super hobby :Good:.
    i got into the hobby when my dad decided to get a machine and join his local club . back then (1979) land was very easy to get permission for and clubs were popping up everywhere and easy to join .
    we were in wulfrun (wolverhampton)club ,and i can remember dozens of us detecting the local parks and pulling coins out like there was no tomorrow . 50 coins each was the norm even with machines that struggled to get past 6".
    i dont think dad did more than three outings before he was sick of my hands inside the hole when he was digging ,a little teenager excited to see what was there .he landed me a used c-scope 400 . then come xmas got me a factory ex-demo c-scope 1000 ,while he upgraded from c-scope 800 to a c-scope 2000.
    Just coming upto 4 years since he died ,and boy oh boy do i miss him now .
    Well thats how it started for me ,detecting and fishing dads two super hobbies . very glad he wasnt a train spotter .

Mr Kurtz likes this.
  2. vint1

vint1 AKA Master Supporter

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Vinny
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00)
    hi nigel , I started 12 yrs ago , beach work mainly , then gave up for a while to fish and do tournament casting , then started again , got land and joined clubs and now iam hooked , its good to get out , fantastic scenery, exercise , keeps me off the fags , lol , gives me fun and space to think and chill, never bothered what I find , its FUN to me .......... hows you mt

nigel westwood likes this.
  3. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Administrator Staff Member

Local Time:
    6:43 PM
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    I was thinking about the hobby for several years and bought Sorex Pro in 2012. I prefer to hunt in forests far away from villages and car traffic. Metal detecting is a mix of quest, fitness, trip, nature and detecting itself for me nowadays. Forest finds are usually in good condition. This hobby is like fishing but 2 or 3 times greater :Good2:

4. after1

after1 AKA Novice

Local Time:
    10:43 AM
    Friend I worked with in the early 80s sparked my interest,I picked up a Garrett Freedom 11 and we would go every weekend some where. He was running a Whites Coin Master, this went on for quite a few years until he moved away for 6yrs, when he moved back we started again . We both bought new detectors, He got a Fisher Sand Shark ( I think) and I a CZ6a, My buddy pasted away in 2002 and I would go out once or twice a year after he passed,- until about a year and a half ago, Now 3-4-5 time a week -----yes I enjoy it----------after1

5. TS
    TS
    nigel westwood

nigel westwood Iron Lord

Local Time:
    two good machines the freedom 2 and cz6a .you have avoided the lemons .

6. Sven

Sven AKA Sectarian

Local Time:
    Started around 1969 with a BFO. There were silver coins everywhere, old and new. So were bottle caps, pull tabs, tin foil and other junk. Most were after silver coins so we ran discrimination a bit too high and missed all the gold, I can kick myself for that. Those were the days, many areas were virgin. I remember most days in the early 70's after my two front pants pockets were bulging with coins, having to empty them twice at many spots.

nigel westwood and mofasa like this.
  7. MrBeasley

MrBeasley AKA Sectarian

Local Time:
    Well I'm certainly a newbie in comparison. Stumbled across The Detectorists last year and fell in love with the programme. I began considering the hobby, and started looking at U-tube videos and learning more and more. Then I joined Gary's forum and started asking serious questions. Just after Christmas I bought a Deus Lite and was off and running. More research and I added the Sorex Pro a few weeks back. Lovin it.

8. KVM2

KVM2 AKA Novice

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Larry
    I went to a circus, and stayed on to get paid for helping bring the tent down.as I was walking across the field, silver coins were reflecting the moon light. Went back the next day, as did about 50 other kids to scarf up coins.That was in grade school . In 57 I was dating a gal that would have made Diana Doers? look flat chested, At Point Pleasant(Jersey shore) I used to see a guy swinging a stick and scooping things into a canvas bag. Went over, asked him what he was doing and he showed me his haul.. He let me try it out,, gal was upset that I left her, and within days was dating" a man in uniform".. I'll skip to a factory detector in 1960.. But I saw the , now gigantic gal, and the totally beat person I assumed was her husband (around 70/71 Winter, Pennsylvania Turnpike.). I've had some good times, and some bad ones, but there, for the grace of God, and a metal detector would have been me. Still have nightmares...

9. Rew

Rew Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Local Time:
    1975 my dad brought a hand held bright orange, electric wire finder.
    I would take it round to my local recreational field and woods and on my hands and knees, hunt for anything. No depth, but found plenty of coins from all the school sports day events and social events held their.
    I was hooked and have been for the rest of my life.

10. KVM2

KVM2 AKA Novice

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Dang, Rew, you must have had problems getting girl friends once the word got out you crawled around on your hands and knees in the woods.However, one park put up the no digging signs, .Sat down next to the volley ball court , shirt and shoes off,... Moved the Pro pointer around the ground, every few minutes, had to shift to a more comfortable position.. Got something like seven dollars and a few keys. Shoes work as a place to hide the tool. Works because people sit on the grass next to the sand to take their shoes off.

11. Rew

Rew Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Local Time:
    Lol. Only thing on my mind at the age of 6 was finding anything.
    No tones, only a red light. The amount of time I spent with it, ahh child hood memories.

12. vint1

vint1 AKA Master Supporter

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Vinny
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00)
    showing your age now REW lol , i love the peace and quiet , and the buzz of what i may find , vinny ...

13. Mr Kurtz

Mr Kurtz AKA Novice

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) A-Gain
    Nice thread, though I’m a sucker for Nostalgia. As a kid I loved history (still do) and got a book on Treasure hunting when I was about 9 in the early 1970s. Just after that an electrician close to my school started selling metal detectors. I’d spend hours staring through his shop window fascinated by these beautiful machines from Fisher, Garret, Fieldmaster , Compass and Sol invictus. He also had a huge pile of coins which he’d found on the the local fairground site which luckily for him was directly opposite his business. For years I couldn’t afford a detector so just had to buy copies of the newly published Treasure Hunting magazine and dream.
    Eventually I got to borrow machines occasionally from my Dad’s friends and finally sold my racing bike to buy an early C Scope IB discriminator; despite not really having anywhere to use it.
    I lived in Bradford and the hobby took off for me when I used to get on the bus and travel to the local woods. These turned out to be surprisingly good for coinage going back to the English civil war. I also used to stay with a Family in France whose eldest daughter used to take me to the site of a Roman town where I’d try and detect whilst she sunbathed naked :Rolleyes:
    Sadly my parents house was burgled when I was at uni and the detector and everything I found was nicked.
    I’ve had long lay offs from the hobby and despite never having had a good friend with the same interest I’ve met some interesting people over the years from detecting and have great memories of France:Biggrin:

Rew and SuchMuch like this.